Lentil Spinach Soup Recipe: This Easy Lentil Soup Recipe Is Packed With Healthy Fiber by Nichole Dandrea-Russert, MS, RDN
The food we eat is what powers our bodies – the better we eat, the better we look, feel and perform. Yet less than 5 percent of Americans are getting the recommended amount of fiber per day, a vital nutrient that can do many things from regulating blood sugar to lowering cholesterol to creating a healthy gut. To get more fiber in your diet, try this easy spinach lentil soup recipe from my cookbook The Fiber Effect.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 cups dry green lentils or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup olive oil or 1/4 cup vegetable broth for oil-free
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can or carton (28 ounces) BPA-free crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Here's how to make it:
- Soak lentils in warm water for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil or vegetable broth over medium heat.
- Add mustard, cumin and fennel seeds for 1 minute.
- Add carrots, celery, onion and cook until onion is soft and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano and, if you want the soup to be spicy, add cayenne or red pepper.
- Stir in lentils, veggie broth, water and crushed tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Just before serving stir in spinach and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro, basil, nutritional yeast and cashew cheese. Enjoy throughout the week or portion it out to freeze.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
The Fiber Effect: Stop Counting Calories and Start Counting Fiber for Better Health by Nichole Dandrea-Russert $15
Green Lentils $4 & Up
Brown Lentils $4 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Vegetable Broth $2 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Mustard Seeds $4 & Up
Cumin Seeds $3 & Up
Fennel Seeds $5 & Up
Cayenne $3 & Up
Red Pepper Flakes $3 & Up
Crushed Tomatoes $2 & Up
Nutritional Yeast $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.