Hall of Fame French Onion Meatballs Recipe: An Incredibly Tasty Baked Meatball Recipe by Donna John
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (I used a Swiss and Gruyere combination)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) beef broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
Here's how to make it:
- To make the meatballs, combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Form the mixture into 12 to 15 meatballs. Place them on a baking sheet that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- To make the sauce, melt the olive oil and butter in a skillet. Add the onions and cook on low heat until soft and golden, about 30 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Pour in the broth. Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and cook until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Put the meatballs into the sauce.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Cook until the cheese melts. (You could also put the meatballs and sauce into a baking dish, top with the cheese and broil until the cheese melts.)
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Dishes $9 & Up
Baking Sheets $7 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
Mixing Bowls $8 & Up
Panko $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Beef Broth $2 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Nonstick Cooking Spray $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.