French Onion Soup Recipe: Make This Easy Recipe When You're Short on Time by Gigi Gaggero
If you are anything like me – you’re always short on time, but big on flavor. Well, then, this recipe is perfect for you! It's one of my family's favorites!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large onions, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup red wine, about 1/2 bottle (optional)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1 sweet baguette, sliced in 1-inch diagonal slices
- 1/2 pound grated Gruyere (or your favorite Swiss cheese)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine for garnish (optional)
Here's how you make it:
- In a stock pot over medium heat, melt the butter and oil. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are deep brown and caramelized, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes. Remove the herbs.
- Dust the onions with the flour and stir. Reduce heat to medium low so the flour doesn’t burn and cook about 5 minutes. Add the beef broth slowly while stirring to avoid lumping. Return soup to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toast sliced baguettes until nicely brown. Rub each piece of toasted baguette with fresh cut garlic. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, preheat the oven to broil. Place the soup bowls in a roasting pan and ladle the soup into bowls. Top each bowl with 2 slices of bread and then a handful of grated Gruyere. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top, if desired. Place in the oven to toast the bread and melt the cheese. Serve.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.