Chicken Bolognese Recipe: So Good You'll Pray for Leftovers (No Cream!) by Donna John
Light, fresh and filling, this easy chicken Bolognese recipe is ready in about 20 minutes. The flavors are spectacular and you'll feel good about eating it because it's made with ground chicken and doesn't call for cream. This is one of my all-time favorite pasta recipes.
Lean ground chicken is cooked in a little olive oil with fresh garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Add the white wine and cook until it is almost evaporated, then add the chicken broth, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, fresh herbs and butter (the butter is optional but adds a richness to the dish). Stir in the cooked pasta and a little pasta water, and get ready for a taste sensation!
Because this pasta recipe doesn't contain cream, it reheats perfectly for leftovers and for meal prepping. Serve this light and healthy chicken Bolognese recipe with a salad and crusty bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 12 ounces penne or rigatoni, cooked according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, tarragon or thyme (or a combination)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add the ground chicken, red pepper flakes, if using, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until chicken is almost cooked through, breaking it up as you stir, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until it almost evaporates. Pour in the chicken broth along with the lemon zest, Parmesan, herbs and butter. Stir and cook until heated through and well combined.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir, adding a little of the reserved pasta water to loosen, if necessary. Serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Pasta Bowls $10 & Up
Parmesan Cheese Graters $7 & Up
Penne $2 & Up
Rigatoni $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Red Pepper Flakes $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.