Rollin' Rouladen Recipe: German Comfort Food Recipe for Oktoberfest by 30Seconds Food
While the Oktoberfest festival is at the end of September, we think about German food all through October (all the time, really!). Rouladen, a popular dish in Germany, is steak rolls filled with bacon, mustard and onions.
To make this German recipe at home you will need round steak, Dijon mustard, an onion, paprika, bacon, vegetable oil, beef broth, cornstarch and sour cream. This dish is often served with potatoes and red cabbage, but you can serve with your favorite side dishes.
It's Oktoberfest time, so print out this rouladen recipe and get to rollin'!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 8 pieces round steak, about 4 ounces each, pounded thin
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can beef broth
- 2 cups water (divided)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Make sure your meat is pounded thin for this recipe so it cooks evenly and quickly.
- Try this recipe with other cuts of steak, like chuck or sirloin.
Here's how to make it:
- Lay the meat on a work surface. Spread 1/2 tablespoon Dijon on each piece of the meat. Top with the minced onion, a slice of bacon and the paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Roll the steaks up and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the steak rolls and cook until browned on all sides. Pour in the broth and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low, covered, about 30 minutes. Remove the steak rolls and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup of water and the cornstarch. Slowly pour the slurry into the liquid in the skillet. Cook, stirring, until sauce gets thick, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Put the steak rolls back into the sauce. Garnish with fresh parsley or dill, if desired, and serve.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 32.8g
Saturated Fat: 11.3g
Total Carbohydrate: 5.6g
Dietary Fiber: 0.9g
Total Sugars: 1g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.