Sweet Torrijas Recipe: This Easy Fried Bread Recipe Is Spain's Answer to French Toast by 30Seconds Food
This torrijas recipes is made with a day-old baguette, milk, sugar or honey, and a cinnamon stick. The bread is sliced then soaked in the sweet milk mixture. After 10 minutes of soaking, the bread is dipped in eggs and cooked in a skillet until golden brown. A sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar completes the dish.
Serve this sweet fried bread for breakfast, brunch or even for dessert. You could drizzle more honey over the top to make it even more decadent. For dessert, serve the hot french toast with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Prep Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 1 day-old baguette, cut into 1-inch diagonal slices
- 4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 eggs
- oil, for frying
- cinnamon-sugar, for serving
Here’s how to make it:
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, sugar and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil and then immediately turn off the heat. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Put the bread in a casserole dish in one layer. Pour the milk over the bread (throw the cinnamon stick away) and let it soak for about an hour.
- Put the eggs into a bowl and beat well.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet. Dip the soaked bread into the egg, then fry for about 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove to a paper towel. To serve, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.