Red Velvet Cake Recipe: This Red Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting May Be the Most Famous Dessert Ever by Gwen Johnson
Who doesn't love a slice of red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting? Adams extract company made the "original" red velvet cake back in the 1920s. The Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City claims that it is the birthplace of this red cake and it was a popular menu item at the hotel in the '50s.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 - 2 cans cream cheese frosting
Here’s how to make it:
- Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa in a bowl. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, food coloring, coffee and vinegar. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet until combined. Divide between the two cake pans.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pans about 10 minutes, then remove cake and allow to cool completely.
- Frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Red Food Coloring $3 & Up
Cocoa Powder $4 & Up
Cream Cheese Frosting $3 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Coffee $5 & Up
White Vinegar $2 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Sugar $2 & Up
Canola Oil $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.