Grandma's Legendary Boston Cream Pie Recipe: So Simple, Yet So Perfect by Donna John
Boston cream pie was a staple at my grandma and grandpa’s house. Why? Because my grandma could make this cake recipe fairly quickly to feed whoever came over on Sundays – and it tasted like she worked for hours on it. Boston cream pie is one of my favorites because it brings back great childhood memories, and it is simplicity at its finest. Cake. Vanilla pudding. Chocolate. Done.
All you need to make this moist Boston cream pie recipe is a box of yellow cake mix, instant vanilla pudding, milk, non-dairy whipped topping, vanilla extract, unsweetened baker's chocolate, butter and powdered sugar. The cooled cake is cut in half lengthwise, filled with vanilla pudding and then drizzled with melted chocolate.
Fun fact: Boston cream pie is the official dessert of Massachusetts, and it was declared in December of 1996.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 1 box (15 ounces) yellow cake mix, baked per packages directions for a round cake and cut in half
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Here’s how to make it:
- Whisk the pudding mix and milk together until thickened, about 2 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip and vanilla.
- Place one half of the cake on serving platter. Spread on the pudding filling. Top with the other half of the cake.
- Put the butter and chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 1 minute until melted. Add the sugar and milk. Stir to form a glaze. Spread over the cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.