Yellowtail Crudo With Yuzu Kosho & Avocado Cream: Get the Recipe & Meet Your New Favorite Ingredient! by Chef Gigi Gaggero
If you finish every dish, night after night, with a dash of salt and pepper or chili flakes, it's time you met yuzu kosho, the Japanese paste made from combining yuzu, chiles and salt. This liquid gold is like dropping a flavor bomb on everything. Perfect with this yellowtail tuna and avocado cream!
- 1 avocado
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon crème fraîche
- 1 Serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- kosher salt
- 4 ounces sashimi-grade skinless, boneless yellowtail fillet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce or soy
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon yuzu kosho*
- 1 radish, trimmed and thinly sliced
- cilantro leaves with tender stems
- thin crackers
Here’s how to make it:
- Mash avocado with garlic, crème fraîche, half of the serranos and 1 tablespoon lime juice in a small bowl until mixture is mostly smooth. Season with salt. Keep chilled.
- Hold your knife at a 45-degree angle and slice fish with the grain into 1/2-inch slices (use a sharp blade and aim for one long, clean stroke).
- Combine oil, fish sauce, shallot, ginger, yuzu kosho, remaining serrano and remaining lime juice in a medium bowl. Add yellowtail, season with salt and gently toss to combine.
- Spread chilled avocado mixture on plates. Top with yellowtail, radish and cilantro. Serve with crackers.
- Spoon the avocado cream into shot glasses and top with the yellowtail, radish and cilantro.
- Fresh dill could be substituted for the cilantro and radish.
- Don't eat raw fish? Use cooked shrimp instead.
*If you can’t find yuzu kosho, combine 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon orange juice and a pinch each of finely chopped serrano and kosher salt.
Crudo (pronounced "crew-doh"): The word, which means raw in Italian and Spanish, refers to the preparation of slicing fish thinly, then drizzling it with oil, acid and seasonings.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Yuzu Kosho $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.