Swedish Meatballs Recipe: Here's My Take on the Famous IKEA Meatballs! by Gigi Gaggero
An astounding two million meatballs are eaten in IKEA's 340 stores worldwide every day. Now that's a lot of köttbullar! Here’s my take on the Swedish meatball. Serve with a side of lingonberry jam for a traditional Swedish meal.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 medium onion, diced very small
- 1/4 cup panko, mixed with 3 ounces of water
- 1 medium boiled potato, cooled and mashed
- 4 ounces butter, divided and at room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1/8 cups beef stock, divided
- soy sauce, to taste
- 2 - 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Here’s how to make them:
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onions and half the butter. Occasionally stir the onions until they are nicely brown and caramelized, about 5-8 minutes.
- While the onions are browning combine the meat, cooled potato and panko in a bowl. Mix well. Add allspice and white pepper. Add the caramelized onions and combine well.
- Using two spoons, shape the meat into approximately 1-ounce balls or roll with clean hands. Place balls on a floured surface and roll gently to coat them evenly.
- Place the floured meatballs into a well-buttered pan over medium-low heat and cook for approximately 20 minutes, turning the meatballs so they don't stick. Remove the meatballs to a plate.
- In the same pan, add half the beef stock and deglaze the pan to get all the brown bits up off the pan. Remove from the heat.
- Add the flour, and with a whisk, begin to create a thickened paste. Once it comes together, slowly add the additional stock quickly, stirring continuously. Return to the heat and bring to a quick boil over medium heat, and just before it begins to bubble reduce to simmer.
- Add a couple good grinds of white pepper. Add the cream. Stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with soy sauce.
- Put the meatballs back into the sauce and heat through.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.