Healthy Side Dishes: How to Make Asparagus With Turmeric-Spiced Almonds! by 30Seconds Food
Turmeric is one of the world’s healthiest spices and has a neutral enough flavor that you can sprinkle it on just about anything. It is a spice that has been used in Indian and Asian cuisines for centuries, and recent studies have shown it to be effective in reducing inflammation, which is the precursor of many diseases. Turmeric is very high in antioxidants, ranking sixth among all spices and eight among all foods. Its mildly bitter flavor combines wonderfully with agave and lemon juice. Veronica Bosgraaf, founder of healthy snack brand Pure Organic, says this recipe for asparagus with turmeric-spiced almonds from her cookbook, "Pure Food," is so hearty and beautiful that it can be served as a main course for lunch with crusty bread and olive oil and come cut-up fruit.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, plus more for pan
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of ground cumin
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 pound asparagus, tough stems removed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the agave, turmeric, salt, and cumin. Add the almonds and stir gently to coat. Spread the almonds on the prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly golden, about 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet set over medium heat. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a serving dish. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and then the almond mixture. Serve.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.