Healthy Vegan Apple, Walnut & Parsnip-Stuffed Squash Recipe for Thanksgiving by 30Seconds Food
Veronica Bosgraaf has put a twist on your traditional stuffed squash. Walnuts are one of her favorite foods because they're rich and satisfying, but not overwhelming in flavor, so they blend well with many dishes. She also tries to use walnuts whenever possible because they're packed with omega-3 fatty acids.
Try Veronica's recipe for walnut-stuffed squash from her cookbook, Pure Food, this Thanksgiving!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, plus more for greasing
- 4 whole acorn squash or butternut squashes
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup peeled and finely chopped parsnip
- 2 firm sweet apples (such as Gala, Fuji or Pink Lady)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped shitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a small baking sheet generously with grapeseed oil.
- Cut 1 inch of the tops of the acorn squashes, and reserve the tops. Scoop out the seeds and all but 1/2 inch of the fresh from the inside. Discard the seeds and finely chop the fresh; set aside. Put the squash shells cut-side down on the baking sheet and bake until tender, 35 to 37 minutes. Let cool.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, parsnip, apples, curry powder, salt and pepper. Cooking, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the parsley and walnuts. Set aside.
- Turn the squash shells right side up on the baking sheet and spoon the filling into each. Place the reserved tops on the baking sheet beside the filled shells.
- Bake until tender and the stuffed squashes begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Serve hot, with the squash "lid" next to the squash on a plate.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.