Gettin' Freaky With Tzatziki: This Easy Recipe Will Be Your New BFF by Chef Gigi Gaggero
Tzatziki (taet-zeek-key) is a sauce or dip made with a combination of cucumber, fresh yogurt, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice or vinegar and fresh herbs. It’s so delicious and refreshing! Use it on everything – from a dip for raw vegetables or pita bread to a salad dressing or side for grilled meat.
- 1/2 large seedless cucumber, unpeeled, grated and set to drain (or rush the process by tossing in 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 1 1/2 cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or Himalayan salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 - 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
Here’s how to make it:
- Squeeze excess liquid from cucumber and wash off salt residue. Squeeze dry using a clean kitchen towel.
- Add prepared cucumber to a small bowl and combine with the yogurt, garlic, oil, lemon juice, salt and white pepper. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or as long as you can.
- Remove from refrigerator and add chopped fresh dill to the mixture. Stir to combine. Check and adjust seasoning.