5-Ingredient Popcorn-Crusted Fried Fish Recipe Pops With Flavor in 20 Minutes by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Host of KSCU 103.3 FM LIVE Food Talk Radio S.F. Bay Area
Popcorn as a crust on fish? Now why didn’t I think of that? Oh, I did! And guess what? This popcorn-crusted fried fish recipe is delicious and super easy to make.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 8 pieces Dover sole or your favorite fish, cut into thick strips lengthwise
- 3 - 4 cups freshly popped popcorn, buttered and salted
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup flour or gluten-free flour
- coconut oil, for frying
Here’s how to make it:
- Grind the popcorn in a food processor on high speed until the size of peas. If you’re using plain, unsalted popcorn, drop in a generous pinch or two of salt. Remove the popcorn from the processor and place in casserole dish. Set aside.
- Add the sifted flour in another casserole dish or plate. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt, pepper and the cayenne pepper. Set aside in a shallow dish.
- Press each fillet into the seasoned flour to coat both sides. Gently shake off the excess flour and dip fillet into the egg mixture to coat both sides. Dredge the fillet in the popcorn breading, pressing gently to thoroughly coat each side. Set coated fillets on a platter.
- In a large sauté pan, heat enough coconut oil to coat the interior of the pan, pooling about 1/4- to 1/2-inch high. When oil is heated and shimmering, gently place a few filets down in the hot oil. Cook in batches until the coating is golden and crisp while the interior of the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 1 to 2 minutes each side.
- Remove from oil and gently roll in additional popcorn meal, if needed. Drain on a paper towel. Serve immediately with fresh made tartar sauce, warm melted butter, homemade ranch dressing or dip of your choice.
Note: You can also bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven. However, if you are in search of crispy filets, pan frying is best.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Food Processors $30 & Up
Popcorn $3 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Gluten-free Flour $3 & Up
Cayenne $3 & Up
Coconut Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.