Crazy for Colcannon: How to Make This Traditional Irish Potato Recipe by Donna John
Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish of mashed potatoes with kale or cabbage. Why not make it for your St. Patrick's Day dinner?
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped cabbage or kale
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Add the milk or cream to the potatoes and mash. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in another pot. Add the cabbage or kale and green onions and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and the bacon, if using, to the mashed potatoes. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with additional butter, if desired.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.