Best Colcannon Recipe: Get Lucky With This Creamy Irish Mashed Potato Recipe by 30Seconds Food
St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner, and that means you'll need some Irish recipes. This easy colcannon recipe is as tasty and easy as they come! Colcannon is simply mashed potatoes with a leafy green, usually cabbage, kale or Swiss chard.
Colcannon is derived from the Gaelic word cal ceannann, which means "white-headed cabbage." During the 17th and 18th centuries in Ireland, cabbage and potatoes were considered foods of the common man. Downhome, humble foods. Or as some people call it, comfort food!
Everyone has their special way to prepare this Irish potato dish. This colcannon recipe is made with russet potatoes, butter, green onions, cream (milk, heavy cream or half and half) and either chopped kale, cabbage, Swiss chard or even spinach. The boiled and peeled potatoes are mashed, then butter is stirred in until melted. Then toss in those leafy greens and green onion. The last addition is the cream, salt and black pepper.
You may try this easy colcannon recipe for St. Patrick's Day, but you'll keep on making it year-round because of the taste. Sere this mashed potato recipe as a side dish with corned beef, steak, chicken, lamb or pork.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 to 5
- 2 - 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped kale, cabbage, Swiss chard or spinach
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup whole milk, heavy cream or half and half
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt the butter in the same pot. Add the kale or leafy greens of choice and green onions. Cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes or until wilted.
- Put the potatoes back into the pot with the greens. Add the milk or cream. Turn the heat to low and mash the potatoes with a potato masher. When mashed to desired consistency, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine with the greens. Serve with more butter or drizzle with olive oil.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Irish Cookbooks $5 & Up
Potato Mashers $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.