How to Make Homemade Ketchup (Relax, It's Easy)! by Chef Gigi Gaggero
3 years ago
Stop buying that bottled stuff and try my DIY ketchup. It's fast, fun and delicious!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) unsalted organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
Here’s how to make it:
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients except the olive oil, cornstarch and water. Process to a liquid.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to the pan. Add the tomato mixture. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 2 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Place the cornstarch in a small bowl and add the 2 teaspoons of water. Stir until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to pan and cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- Cool. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.