Talk It Out: 5 Ways to Really Communicate & Not Argue With Loved Ones! by Dr. Sarah Allen
4 years ago
Need to have a talk with a loved one? Here are five tips that help when you are having a difficult conversation. And hopefully, the discussion will lead to problem-solving rather than an argument.
- Stay focused on understanding and resolving the present problem and your feelings about it.
- When adrenaline kicks in during a emotional discussion or argument, take a breath or a short time-out to gather your thoughts.
- Ask yourself what your goal is. Do you just want your opinion to be heard or is there a particular outcome you want to happen?
- Begin statements with “I” and make them about yourself and your feelings. It is less likely to make the other person defensive.
- Try to see the other person’s point of view and talk to them in a non-argumentative way. This way, you are more likely to get that response back from them.