How to Reduce Your Family's Sugar Intake: 5 Steps to a Healthier Diet! by Mei Marcie
Health problems such as heart disease, obesity and diabetes are on the rise, even among kids. A possible culprit is our increased intake of sugar, leading to chronic inflammation and people being overweight. Here are some ways I've reduced sugar intake for my family:
- Avoid sugared drinks; plain water is best!
- Reduce consumption of processed foods. (Learn more about processed foods from Dr. Josephine Dlugopolski-Gach.)
- Look at the ingredient lists before buying, and identify sugar (mostly ending with "-ose").
- Substitute fruits for cakes and other desserts that are artificially sweetened.
- Limiting sugar (for women) to no more than 6 teaspoons or 24 grams per day.
Sugar is addictive, so start today to reduce your intake!