10 Best Foods for Heart Health: The Top Foods to Eat to Help Promote & Maintain a Healthy Heart by Hari Pulapaka and Dr. Jenneffer Pulapaka
The list below gives our “Top 10” heart-healthy foods. Each item has valuable medical attributes that make them integral ingredients to include in any diet that promotes and maintains heart health.
1. Oatmeal: Oats are high in fiber and possess well-researched and documented cholesterol-reducing properties. Additionally, studies have shown that oats in collaboration with vitamin C prevent HDL (“good”) cholesterol oxidation – thus fighting the progression of heart disease.
2. Flaxseed: Increasing the levels of omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to reduce the occurrence of cardiovascular disease (CVD). In a WFPB diet, flaxseeds provide an invaluable and rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. Studies have also shown that daily consumption of flaxseeds may help maintain a lower blood pressure. Flaxseeds have wonderful binding qualities that make them a useful substitute for eggs and processed flours.
3. Berries: Berries contain high amounts of polyphenols. Studies have shown that most berries are low in calories and high in moisture and fiber. They contain natural antioxidants such as vitamins C and E, and micronutrients – all essential for heart health.
4. Dark Leafy Greens: Adding dark leafy greens (and black-eyed peas) to your diet in the New Year will help set the vibe for more than general health and prosperity. A diet rich in dark leafy greens (collards, mustards, kale, spinach, etc.) provides valuable folate – a B vitamin that promotes heart health. Additionally, dark Leafy greens have low glycemic indices and low caloric profiles, which makes them particularly beneficial in maintaining a healthy weight.
5. Pomegranate: Pomegranates have been shown to be a rich source of potent antioxidants which act against several types of free radicals. Additionally, pomegranates help protect against the oxidation of HDL (“good”) cholesterol and help reduce blood pressure.
6. Walnuts or Almonds: Nuts contain unsaturated fatty acids and help lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Specifically, walnuts and almonds are rich in vitamins, minerals and heart-healthy fats. They are, however, also high in calories, so they must be consumed in moderate portions.
7. Beans: All legumes are rich in minerals and fiber, beans being especially so. Because beans do not contain saturated fats and are rich in protein, they provide our bodies with healthy nutrition and satiation. Beans are a deliciously versatile component to help maintain a heart-healthy diet. Beans are an essential ingredient in many cuisines.
8. Soy: Foods containing soy protein have been shown to reduce cholesterol even as the precise mechanisms are still being actively researched. Edamame and soy protein are good examples of ingredients that can be easily incorporated into a heart-healthy diet.
9. Plant Sterols: These compounds naturally found in plant cell membranes are similar in chemical structure to the human body’s cholesterol. When our diet is plant-based, the plant sterols compete with cholesterol for absorption into our digestive system resulting in a blocking and hence, reduction of cholesterol absorption.
10. Beets and Beet Greens: Beets (juice, root and leaves) are naturally concentrated in nitrates, which have been shown to reduce blood pressure and increase oxygen levels. A diet that includes all edible aspects of beets helps increase oxygen levels and improve overall cardiovascular function.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.