Rockin' Southern Collard Greens Recipe: This Easy Collard Greens Recipe Hits on Every Single Note by Donna John
Sweet. Bitter. Salty. Spicy. These collard greens are a party for your taste buds. (Don't forget the cornbread!)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 to 2 hours
Total Time: 1 to 2 hours
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 - 2 bunches collard greens, washed well, touch stems removed and chopped
- 1 large smoked ham hock, 1 smoked turkey leg OR 5 - 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 3 - 4 cups water or chicken broth
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- peppers in vinegar (optional)
Here’s how to make them:
- Heat a tiny amount of olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook until soft. (If you're using bacon, cook it along with the onion to crisp it up a bit and omit the olive oil.)
- Add the collard greens, water or broth, ham hock and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 1 to 2 hours, adding more water/broth, if needed.
- Remove the meat off of the ham hock or turkey leg and add to the collard greens. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with Tabasco and peppers in vinegar.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Peppers in Vinegar $3 & Up
Tabasco Sauce $3 & Up
Red Pepper Flakes $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.