Breast Cancer Facts: 5 Things About Breast Cancer You May Not Know by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Each year in the United States, there are more than 297,790 diagnosed cases of breast cancer. However, with monthly self-exams, annual clinical exams and mammograms, a majority of breast cancer diagnoses can be caught in the early stages and treated successfully. Breast cancer can impact everyone.
Here are some fast facts you may not know:
1. Each year, 287,850 women and 2,800 men in the U.S. are diagnosed with invasive breast cancer.
2. About 43,700 women and 530 men in the U.S. die each year from breast cancer.
3. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women. (Only lung cancer kills more women each year.) The chance that a woman will die from breast cancer is about 1 in 39 (about 2.5 percent).
4. There are some risk factors you can control to reduce your risk of developing breast cancer. These include:
- Taking hormones.
- Excessive alcohol consumption.
- Physical inactivity.
5. At this time there are more than 3.8 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S. This includes women still being treated and those who have completed treatment.
If you have questions about breast cancer, or if you have a family history of breast cancer, it’s important to reach out to your health-care provider or nurse practitioner to schedule a checkup and ensure the health of your breasts.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links. The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.