Coronavirus Cleaning Guidelines: How to Disinfect Your Home If Someone Has COVID-19 by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread across the United States. If you or a loved one has been sick, it’s important to disinfect your home to help stop the spread of the virus and protect others in the house.
- Always wear disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting.
- Use a disinfectant that is EPA-registered.
- First, clean surfaces with soap and water, then follow up with disinfectant.
- Check out the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) six steps for safe and effective disinfectant use.
- Ensure you clean “high touch” surfaces like tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets and sinks.
You can also use diluted household bleach to clean some surfaces, but be sure to read all labels before using a bleach solution. To make a bleach solution, mix 5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) bleach per gallon of room temperature water, or 4 teaspoons bleach per quart of room temperature water.
Cleaning and disinfecting techniques can vary somewhat, depending on the surface. Check out the CDC’s recommendations for cleaning each surface.
Most importantly, continue washing your hands frequently, follow safety guidelines and stay at home when possible to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Disposable Gloves $4 & Up
Disinfectants $3 & Up
Cleaning Soap $4 & Up
Bleach $3 & Up
Face Masks $6 & Up
Hand Sanitizers $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.