Resistance Bands: How to Use This Fitness Gear & Easy Resistance Band Workouts to Try by Johnson Fitness & Wellness
No matter what your fitness goals are, resistance bands should be a part of your workout routine. Not only do they come in a variety of sizes, lengths and strengths, but they’re very portable and easy to store – making them ideal for home and travel workouts.
So what exactly can you do with these giant rubber bands? A lot more than you might think! Give the following workouts a shot and you’ll quickly understand just how fun, dynamic and beneficial a resistance band workout can be. All you need is a little space and a set of resistance bands that provide a nice range of resistance.
Band Upper Body Workout
For those who just want to get in a great upper body workout, here’s a fast-paced band-attached workout that will have you feeling it! Complete the following six exercise circuit utilizing 30 seconds of work for each exercise and 15 seconds of rest between exercises. Or you also can perform 10-15 repetitions of each exercise followed by approximately 15 seconds of rest. Rest one to two minutes after you complete a full circuit. Complete three to four full circuits. (Click any of the exercises to download a how-to video.)
- Chest Press
- Horizontal Row
- Horizontal Shoulder Press
- Face Pulls
- Tricep Extension
- Palloff Press (right and left)
The Single Band Workout
Single band workouts are ideal for those with limited space or those looking for an effective workout at home or while traveling. Complete the following 10 exercise circuit utilizing 30 seconds of work for each exercise and 15 seconds of rest between exercises. Or you also can perform 10-15 repetitions of each exercise followed by approximately 15 seconds of rest. Rest one to two minutes after you complete a full circuit. Complete three full circuits. (Click any of the exercises to download a how-to video.)
- High Pull or High Pull with Lateral Step
- Shoulder Press or Push Press
- Step Back Lunge – Right Leg or Split Squat – Right Leg
- Step Back Lunge – Left Leg or Split Squat – Left Leg
- Seated Row or 1 Arm Split Row (right and left)
- Push-Ups or Chest Press
- Bicep Curls or Bicep Curl w/ Lateral Step
- Overhead Tricep Extensions
- Plank or Side Planks (right and left)
How to Choose Resistance Bands
Unfortunately, because “it’s only a band,” people often assume that they need to use a strong band for every exercise. On top of that, many try to use them at too fast of a tempo. Like with any training tool, success comes with repetition and band training is no different. It is important that you start off with the correct size bands and the correct exercises for a few different reasons:
- You want a band you can maintain tension on the system at all times. This will maximize the benefit of using bands as resistance.
- You want to make sure the eccentric phase is not creating a sling shot effect that could cause injury to the joint or muscles. Having too strong of band and going at too fast of a tempo can lead to this. An example would be the shoulder press and letting the band “snap” back down into the starting position after you press it overhead.
- Depending on the exercise, you want to be able to train at a good pace when needed and not be inhibited by band’s resistance, which is what happens when tension is way too high. On the flip side, too small of band will result in people over stretching the band to get more resistance which will eventually damage the band.
- If you are a beginner, a lighter resistance band will allow you to learn the movements better.
This post is sponsored by Johnson Fitness & Wellness.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Resistance Bands $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.