The Bug Bites of Summer: 5 Insects You Should Never Ignore by Joyce Knestrick, CRNP, FAANP
Summer is the season to head outdoors, but the fresh air brings mysterious bites and stings that can be itchy, painful and, sometimes, dangerous. Here’s a list of things you can’t ignore:
- Bed bugs: These aren’t dangerous, but infestation will only get worse (and make you miserable) until you take care of it.
- Bee stings: Most people aren’t allergic, but if you experience face or throat swelling, lightheadedness, difficulty breathing or hives, call 911.
- Spider bites: Most aren’t venomous, but some can cause severe pain, swelling, cramping or body chills, so get help if it’s feels like more than a typical bug bite.
- Ticks: Signs of an infectious bite include a bullseye rash, muscle soreness, fatigue and irritability. Seek treatment as soon as you suspect something.
- Mosquitoes: Mostly annoying, these can sometimes cause hives, swollen glands and a fever, and in rare cases, anaphylaxis (like a bee sting), so seek help if you have an unexpected reaction.
Bites are part of summer, but some can’t be ignored. A nurse practitioner can help figure out what’s going on. When in doubt, call 911 if you suspect an emergency!
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Insect Repellent $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.