Workweek Feel Like a Mad Dash? 10 Stress-busting Ways to Find Calm in the Midst of Chaos by Kelli Schulte
I'm sitting at my desk with a looming deadline, overflowing inbox, phone calls to return, two dogs at my feet and a chirping Fitbit. I am feeling stress, overwhelm and out of control. I am laser focused on what is happening around me, instead of what’s happening in me. Josh Freedman describes stress as shorthand for a sense of imbalance and impending chaos. Breaking the stress spiral requires a focus inward to gain:
- Recognition that there are options
Turn inward and challenge yourself to:
- Recognize triggers and patterns of behavior that lead to stress.
- Identify self-limiting thoughts and false beliefs.
- Identify options to create better balance and promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Break the stress cycle with a different response.
- Establish supportive communities (like the 30Seconds tribe!) to increase dialogue about causes of stress.
- Be intentional with decisions weighing the consequences.
- Change your perspective, and perhaps, break things up into bite-sized chunks.
- Find the silver lining.
- Respond versus react to pressures, limited time constraints and resources.
- Align choices and decisions with what matters most.
Learn more about the stress spiral.