The Ubiquitous Cellphone: 5 Steps to Communicate Well Face to Face! by Nancy Dafoe
A photo circulating on Facebook shows a group of young women standing together, but all with their faces cast down as they scan cell phones. Ever-present cell phones may now be the norm, but everyone tuned in to cell phones and away from each other is disquieting. One way to experience mindfulness is to fully engage with another. It is a skill we seem to be losing.
- Listen to the other person even if it is a topic that does not interest you.
- Focus on that person and what he or she is saying in the moment.
- Consider what is behind the person’s words – emotions, ideas that may be discerned even below articulation.
- Resist the urge to interrupt or respond too quickly or with a pat answer.
- Allow the other person time to reflect and restate before countering or offering feedback.