What Is a Healthy Blood Pressure? The AHA Shares the Numbers! by Donna John
High blood pressure is a disease that typically has no symptoms, according to the American Heart Association (AHA). The AHA has broken down blood pressure numbers into five categories:
- Normal: less than 120 systolic and less than 80 diastolic.
- Prehypertension: 120-139 systolic and 80-89 diastolic.
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Stage 1: 140-159 systolic and 100 or higher diastolic.
- High Blood Pressure Stage 2: 160 or higher systolic and 100 or higher diastolic.
- Hypertensive Crisis (Emergency Care Needed): higher than 180 systolic and higher than 110 diastolic.
For your health, it's important to know your numbers!