Has Your Child Been Exposed to Poison Ivy? Here’s What You Should Do! by Dr. Josephine Dlugopolski - Gach
Family nature outings, summer camps and even just playing outside – anywhere – may put your child around poison ivy. Here's what you should do as soon as possible if your child has been exposed:
- Wash the affected skin immediately with lots of soap to get the oil, called urushiol, off the skin.
- Wash any clothing that has come in contact with the oil.
How to Treat Poison Ivy: Calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream (1 percent) may be used to relieve the burning and itching. If the rash worsens, contact your doctor about using antihistamines or oral steroids to help with the symptoms.