Creamy Chicken & Tomato Pasta Casserole Recipe Will Be on Dinner Repeat by Elisa Schmitz
The cooler weather is inspiring me to make more comfort food recipes. Specifically, I'm craving casseroles – and the creamier and cheesier they are, the better. Is there anything more comforting for dinner on a cool evening than a piping hot casserole right out of the oven? I think not!
Inspired by this farmers market caprese casserole, this easy chicken and tomato casserole recipe is just the right amount of creamy without being too heavy. The ricotta cheese adds a velvety texture while the Parmesan adds a flavorful golden topping. You can make this recipe ahead of time or the same night, and it's big enough that you'll have leftovers to save you another night of cooking.
Here's your shopping list for this Italian-inspired pasta casserole: pasta (I used rotini), olive oil, onion, garlic, chicken breast, marinara sauce, ricotta cheese, fresh tomatoes, Parmesan cheese and oregano. Everything is mixed together, layered in a casserole dish then baked until hot and bubbly. Serve this cheesy casserole with a salad or a vegetable side dish. So yummy!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: American / Italian
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 16 ounces pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce (I used Rao's brand)
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese, divided
- 4 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
- fresh basil or rosemary, for garnish (optional)
- Soup Pot
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- 13x9-inch Baking Pan
- Pasta Pot
- I used gluten-free rotini pasta, but you can use any smaller type of pasta (regular or gluten-free).
- Feel free to add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes if you like more heat.
- Garnish with fresh basil or rosemary, if desired.
- Make ahead if you are meal planning, and refrigerate for up to four days.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
Here's how to make it:
- In a large pasta pot, cook the pasta to al dente. When pasta is finished cooking, drain the water and set pasta aside.
- While pasta is cooking, add the oil, onion, garlic and oregano to another large cooking pot. Over medium heat, stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and stir to combine all ingredients. Sauté over medium heat until chicken is cooked through and onions are soft.
- Add the marinara sauce and stir to combine.
- Add the pasta and mix until incorporated.
- Add 1 cup of the ricotta cheese and stir until all of the cheese is incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Pour half of the pasta and chicken mixture into a 13x9-inch casserole dish that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Top with the remaining ricotta, then add the rest of the pasta in another layer.
- Top the pasta mixture with the tomato slices.
- Top the tomatoes with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place baking dish in a preheated 375-degree F oven and bake for about 25 minutes, or until it's hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh basil or rosemary, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 13.1g
Saturated Fat: 5.2g
Total Carbohydrate: 44.3g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Total Sugars: 8.8g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.