5-Ingredient Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe Is a Side Dish You Will Crave by Elisa Schmitz
What is it about cheesy potato casseroles that we just can't get enough of? Here on 30Seconds, potato casserole recipes are among our most popular recipes, and for good reason. They're easy, cheesy and absolutely delish!
This five-ingredient cheesy potato casserole recipe is no exception. The key to this tasty recipe is its simplicity. With only five ingredients and in just about an hour, you have a savory side dish that you'll crave again and again.
Here's what you need in order to make this gluten-free and vegetarian dish: potatoes, sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, garlic powder and paprika. You cook the potatoes, mash them with the cheese, sour cream and seasonings, then bake until golden.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 2 pounds new potatoes
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, at room temperature (divided)
- 2 cups (about 16 ounces) sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Soup Pot
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Dishes
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- You can try other cheeses in this potato casserole, such as gruyere or Parmesan.
- You can try other potatoes in this recipe, such as large red potatoes or russet potatoes.
- Store leftovers in a container in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
- Garnish with additional paprika, or with parsley or chives, if desired.
Here's how to make it:
- Place potatoes in a large pot filled with water and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until just fork-tender, about 15 minutes (be careful not to over-cook).
- Drain potatoes and allow to cool enough that you can handle them. Remove peels, if desired (new potatoes peel easily after they're boiled).
- Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl and mash with a large fork until crumbly (some chunks are fine).
- Add 2 1/2 cups of the cheese, the sour cream, garlic powder and paprika. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the potato mixture into a casserole dish or 13x9-inch baking dish that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until potatoes are heated through and cheese is golden brown.
- Garnish with additional paprika, or parsley or chives, if desired, and serve.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 17.5g
Saturated Fat: 11g
Total Carbohydrate: 14.2g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9g
Total Sugars: 1.2g
Vitamin D: 3mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.