30-Minute Cajun Shrimp & Corn Soup Recipe: A Spicy Way to Wrap Up February by 30Seconds Food
As we wrap up Mardi Gras season, we thought we'd end it with a spicy Cajun shrimp and corn soup recipe. The creamy corn soup is topped with grilled shrimp and crispy, crumbled bacon. It can be served for lunch or dinner with a fresh salad and crunchy, hot bread. Who doesn't love a soup that's on the table in 30 minutes?
Start the soup by cooking onion, carrots, celery, potato and garlic in a little butter until soft. Be sure to cut the vegetables (especially the potatoes) on a small dice so they cook quickly. Flour is sprinkled in that will help the soup thicken later, along with whole kernel corn, chicken broth, ground cayenne and heavy cream. While the soup simmers, season the shrimp with Cajun seasoning (or just salt and pepper for less heat) and cook on a grill pan until seared and opaque. The creamy soup is ladled into soup bowls and topped with the juicy shrimp and crisp bacon. Yum.
You could make this a vegetarian soup by leaving out the shrimp and bacon. Or, stir both into the soup instead of getting fancy and putting them on top. Either way, this is a delicious bowl of soup perfect for a cool evening.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 cup small diced potato (russet, Yukon gold, white or red potatoes)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails on or off)
- Cajun seasoning
- bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper or Cajun seasoning. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the corn, chicken broth and cayenne. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and add the cream. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, season the shrimp with some Cajun seasoning or salt and pepper. Cook the shrimp on a grill pan or in a skillet in the olive oil until seared on both sides and just cooked through.
- Taste the soup and add salt, pepper or Cajun seasoning, to taste. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with some shrimp and bacon.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Soup Bowls $10 & Up
Cajun Seasoning $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.