Cheesy Spinach Strata Casserole Recipe Is What to Make This Weekend by 30Seconds Food
Strata is an American casserole that's made with bread, eggs and cheese. It's a popular brunch dish, but can be served for dinner or lunch. Other ingredients like vegetables and meats can be added to the strata mixture before baking. This spinach strata recipe includes a box of frozen spinach. You can substitute cooked fresh spinach in this cheesy strata recipe if you'd prefer.
The best thing about this baked spinach strata casserole recipe is that it's made the day before, which is always welcome if you're hosting brunch. Be sure to let the strata sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes before baking.
Serve this spinach strata for brunch or as a vegetarian lunch or dinner. Strata is a rich dish, so for brunch serve a bowl of fruit alongside and for lunch or dinner a fresh salad. Store the leftover strata covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 8 hours minimum to chill
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour plus 8 hours minimum to chill
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 cups cubed French bread or Italian bread
- 2 cups Gruyere, cheddar or gouda (or your favorite cheese)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 9 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add the nutmeg. Add the spinach and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Put about 1/3 of the bread cubes into a buttered 3-quart baking dish. Top with 1/3 of the spinach and onions, and 1/3 of both cheeses. Repeat the layers, ending with the cheeses.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the strata. Cover the dish and put it in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove the strata from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 45 minutes or until it puffs up and is golden brown.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.