Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Zucchini Bread Recipe Takes You Back to Simpler Times by Elisa Schmitz
My dad loves zucchini bread. My grandmother made it for him as a child, using zucchini she grew in her own garden. She continued to bake her old-fashioned zucchini bread for us grandkids as well, and I would often help her harvest the zucchini before baking her special bread recipe. It was a staple in her house for the holidays and throughout the year, and we all looked forward to the aroma of homemade zucchini bread baking in the oven.
Since Grandma has passed, we have been missing so many of her Old World homemade recipes, including her perfect zucchini bread. The old-fashioned flavor and goodness take you back to simpler times. So when my dad told me that’s all he wanted for Christmas, I got to work on recreating Grandma’s old-fashioned zucchini bread for him.
I consulted this zucchini bread recipe by my friend and colleague Donna to form the backbone of Grandma’s zucchini bread recipe. But then I added some ingredients I know my grandma used, such as dark brown sugar, which gives a more caramel flavor to this tasty bread recipe, and more zucchini, cinnamon and vanilla. I’m happy to say that my dad took one bite and sighed, “Just like Grandma used to make!”
I also made a chocolate chip version of this zucchini bread, because my husband requested it. I’m happy to say that he was in zucchini heaven as well! The chocolate adds additional richness to this recipe, making it almost like a dessert.
This sweetbread recipe makes two loaves, so feel free to make one without chocolate chips and then add the chocolate chips to the batter for the second loaf. You can use walnuts or pecans in this amazing zucchini bread recipe. I used both, because my dad requested it that way. Enjoy the old-fashioned goodness and take a break to remember simpler times!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 to 50 minutes
Total Time: 50 to 60 minutes
Servings: Makes 2 loaves
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 - 3 1/2 cups zucchini, diced fine
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans or a mixture of both)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (for the second loaf, if desired)
Here's how you make it:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir until blended.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, canola oil, dark brown sugar and vanilla.
- Fold in the diced zucchini and nuts.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined into batter.
- Fold chocolate chips into second loaf, if using.
- Pour the batter into two greased and floured loaf pans or loaf pans that you’ve sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake the zucchini bread loaves in a preheated 325-degree F oven for about 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow bread to cool in the loaf pans for 10 to 15 minutes before removing.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.