Vietnamese Fried Spring Rolls Recipe (Chả Giò): Better Than Takeout by Ann Marie Patitucci
I typically enjoy appetizers more than entrees and will sometimes order them as my entrée when going out to eat. I also enjoy them at home. Lately I’ve been preferring to eat at home because there are so many benefits:
- I can wear comfy clothes, even pajamas!
- I can choose the menu.
- It’s usually cheaper.
- There are no crowds or waiting!
I was recently introduced to a delicious Vietnamese spring roll recipe called Chả Giò. They’re typically served with a dipping sauce. If you eat out at Vietnamese restaurants, you’ve probably tried this delicious starter. Now you can make them yourself! Who wants to make them at home along with me? The recipe is easy to follow and let’s not forget about the benefits above!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: Makes 10 to 15 spring rolls
- 10 - 15 rice paper sheets
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) pork, minced
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) shrimp, minced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, shredded (wood ear, shiitake, portobello, oyster, etc.)
- 1/2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup vermicelli rice noodles, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 egg
- pinch salt
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Here’s how to make it:
- Boil 1/2 cup water. Put the broken vermicelli noodles in a small bowl and cover with the boiling water. Allow to rest until cooked through. Drain.
- Add the pork, shrimp, shallots, mushrooms, carrots, vermicelli noodles, egg and salt into a bowl. Mix well (for best results, you may want to use your hands to mix).
- Quickly rinse the rice paper in water to soften and then place on a flat surface. Place a small handful of filling near one edge of the rice paper. Fold the paper over the filling, tuck in the sides and continue to roll to the end of the paper. Repeat for all of the spring rolls.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry spring rolls for about 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oil and transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- Combine all ingredients for the dipping sauce in a bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Serve with dipping sauce immediately.
We may occasionally reference products or brands in our content based on a contributor’s personal use or opinion. But 30Seconds is in no way affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties or guarantees about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program, which means we may earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Rice Paper Sheets $3 & Up
Vermicelli Rice Noodles $2 & Up
Fish Sauce $3 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.