Cuban Picadillo a la Habanera Recipe: A Budget-friendly Cuban Comfort Food Classic by 30Seconds Food
“Say ‘Cuban food’ and most people think picadillo, a moist, fragrant hash of sautéed ground meat made subtly sweet-tart-savory with olives and raisins – an Arab influence on Spanish cuisine that was exported to Cuba," states an article on the James Beard Foundation website. "Picadillo is to Cuban and Latin-American cooking what ragù is to Italian: an ingenious way to stretch out a cheap cut of meat into a comfort food classic."
This traditional Cuban picadillo a la habanera recipe uses simple, flavor-packed ingredients and is on the table in about 40 minutes. Serve this Cuban ground beef recipe with rice and black beans, or use it as a filling for empanadas. Take a trip to Cuba without leaving your kitchen!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup black olives or pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup raisins
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the ground beef, onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook, breaking up the meat as you stir, until cooked through and browned. Drain fat.
- Add the tomato sauce, olives, cumin and oregano. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the raisins. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Raisins $3 & Up
Pimento-Stuffed Olives $3 & Up
Black Olives $2 & Up
Ground Cumin $3 & Up
Tomato Sauce $1 & Up
Oregano $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.