4-Ingredient Crispy Falafel Fried Chicken Recipe Is Pure Genius by Donna John
On the same The Kitchen episode that Sunny Anderson made her delicious Oktoberfest cheat sheet recipe, Katie Lee made a crispy falafel fried chicken cutlet recipe. Who would have thought of using falafel mix, which is already seasoned with herbs and spices, as a breading? Genius!
Katie made a salad to go on top of her chicken, which I decided not to do because I already had a cole slaw made. She also topped it with a herbed yogurt sauce. The sauce is optional, but I have included the recipe below (it's cut in half because one half of it went to dress her salad).
Be careful when frying the chicken. Watch it closely because it can get dark very fast (see example in my photo below!). She also finished her chicken in the oven, which I decided not to do. They fried up beautifully in the skillet.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes (approximately)
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 4 small chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness (I used 2 large chicken breasts)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 box (6.3 ounces) falafel mix (I used one pouch of Knorr Falafel Mix)
- olive oil, for frying
Here's how to make it:
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Make a dredging station with the flour on a shallow plate, whisk the eggs in a bowl and put the falafel mix on a plate.
- Heat about 1/4-inch of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Dredge the chicken in the flour, then egg, then completely cover with the falafel seasoning.
- Fry the chicken breasts over moderate heat (not too high or the seasoning will get too dark) until golden and crispy on the bottom.
- Flip the chicken over and continue to cook until cooked through (165 degrees F internal temperature).
To make the optional yogurt herb sauce, mix together 1 cup Greek yogurt, 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Falafel Mix $3 & Up
Knorr Falafel Mix $3 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
Red Wine Vinegar $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.