Creamy Frozen Vanilla Custard Recipe Is a Dreamy Summer Dessert by 30Seconds Food
Frozen custard is similar to ice cream, but has the addition of eggs. The texture is denser than ice cream and it's usually served not as frozen as ice cream (aka meltier). This frozen vanilla custard recipe is easy to prepare, though it does take some time to chill and freeze. But it's worth it!
You could use vanilla beans or vanilla paste in place of the vanilla extract. One vanilla bean typically equals 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Open the pods with a sharp knife then scrape out the pulp.
Prep Time: 6 hours plus to chill and freeze
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours (approximately)
Servings: Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- dash of salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
Here's how to make it:
- Put the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat to 175 degrees F. Add the sugar, cornstarch and salt and whisk until dissolved.
- Add a little of the hot milk mixture to the eggs to temper. Add the eggs into the saucepan and whisk constantly over low heat. Cook until mixture comes back to 160 degrees F and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat. Put the saucepan into a bowl of ice water to cool for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the condensed milk and vanilla. Cover the custard with plastic wrap (make sure it touches the top of the custard to prevent a skin from forming). Refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- To make the custard, pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, filling about 2/3 full. (If you have a small ice cream maker, refrigerate any remaining custard base and use later.) Process according to manufacturer's directions, then put into a container and freeze for at least 2 hours.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Ice Cream Makers $20 & Up
Sweetened Condensed Milk $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Vanilla Beans $5 & Up
Vanilla Paste $8 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.