Slow-cooker Eggplant Parmesan Recipe: My Italian Mom Even Loves This Recipe by Ann Marie Patitucci
When I was a kid, my favorite Italian dish was chicken parmesan. As I’ve gotten older my favorite has become eggplant parmesan. I order it nearly every time my husband and I have a date night at our favorite Italian restaurant and often ask my mom to make it when we visit.
I’ve never attempted to make it on my own (bringing shame to my big Italian family!). Instead, I opt for the slow-cooker recipe, made in layers with marinara sauce and cheese. It passes my test: delicious, easy to make, family friendly and only 30 minutes of prep time.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours and 30 minutes
- 4 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (32 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) mozzarella cheese, sliced
Here’s how to make it:
- Layer eggplant slices in a large bowl, sprinkling each layer with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes to drain, then rinse and dry with a kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk eggs with water and flour until smooth. Dip eggplant slices in the batter. Fry two or three slices at a time in the oil until golden brown.
- In a different bowl, mix seasoned breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese. Place 1/4 of the eggplant slices into a slow cooker and top with 1/4 of the crumbs, 1/4 of the marinara sauce and 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers three more times.
- Cover and slow cook on low until flavors have blended and eggplant is tender, about 4 to 5 hours.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Slow Cookers $25 & Up
Seasoned Breadcrumbs $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Marinara Sauce $2 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.