Grandma's Most-Requested Buttermilk Macaroni & Cheese Recipe by Donna John
A friend of mine shared this recipe for her grandma's buttermilk macaroni and cheese. Buttermilk? When I first heard that she used buttermilk in her mac and cheese, I was skeptical. But, guess what? It is absolutely delicious! No wonder it's her grandma's most-requested recipe!
If you're making this macaroni and cheese recipe for a potluck or large family gathering, double it and bake in a 13x9-inch baking pan. Print out plenty of copies of the recipe (you'll need them).
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- 2 cups shredded gouda cheese (divided)
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
- Add 1 cup of the cheddar, 1 cup of gouda, butter, smoked paprika and garlic powder to the hot noodles. Stir well to combine. Pour into a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Pour the buttermilk over the top and stir. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.