Old-fashioned German Bienenstich Recipe: This Bee Sting Cake Recipe Is From the 15th Century by 30Seconds Food
Bienenstich, or Bee Sting Cake, is a classic German dessert often served at with tea. Legend has it that German bakers from the 15th century who threw beehives at raiders from a neighboring village (successfully!) celebrated by baking this cake. Yes, bienenstich translates to bee sting. Interesting, right?
This easy Bienenstich cake recipe may not be the same recipe the German bakers made, but it's delicious. It can be served room temperature or chilled. Store the leftover cake in the refrigerator in an airtight container for three to four days.
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus time for cake to cool
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- dash of salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 box (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- milk (if needed to thin pudding)
- honey, to drizzle
Here's how to make it:
- To make the topping, combine the almonds and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- To make the cake batter, beat the eggs, vanilla and powdered sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat until well combined. Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 9-inch springform pan. Sprinkle with the topping. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven, remove the side of the pan and let the cake cool.
- To make the filling, beat the pudding mix and heavy cream until thick and spreadable. (If it's too thick, you can add a little milk.)
- To assemble the cake, use a serrated knife to carefully cut the cake in half horizontally. Spread the filling on the bottom layer, then put the top back on. Serve immediately with honey, if desired, for drizzling, or chill until ready to serve.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Springform Pans $10 & Up
Powdered Sugar $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Sliced Almonds $4 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix $2 & Up
Honey $3 & Up
Electric Mixers $15 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.