Easy Rainbow Cake Recipe: Celebrate Pride Month With a 6-Layer Rainbow Cake by Ann Marie Patitucci
You can celebrate Pride Month all month long (and beyond!) by baking a rainbow cake! You can put your skills to work by baking every color of the rainbow into this fun and delicious cake, with one color for every cake layer.
This month and throughout the year, let’s celebrate life by eating cake and celebrating everyone for who they are!
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 2 hours to chill
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours and 40 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring in rainbow colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet
- rainbow sprinkles (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 containers (8 ounces each) mascarpone cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease six 9-inch round cake pans and dust with flour.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, the milk, sugar, egg whites and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in flour mixture and then mix until just combined.
- Divide cake batter evenly among six bowls. Mix in a different food coloring in each bowl (starting with 1 or 2 drops food coloring per bowl), creating six different colored batters. Add more food coloring if necessary, to reach desired colors.
- Bake each cake in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Beat cream in a metal or chilled glass bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and mascarpone cheese, then fold gently into the whipped cream until smooth.
- Spread frosting on each layer of cooled cake, placing one on top of the other. Cover the top and sides with the remaining frosting. Decorate with rainbow sprinkles, if desired. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
All-Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Food Coloring $4 & Up
Rainbow Sprinkles $4 & Up
Powdered Sugar $2 & Up
Electric Mixers $15 & Up
9-inch Round Cake Pans $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.