Slow-cooker Lemon Barbecue Chicken Recipe Has Some Surprising Ingredients by Ann Marie Patitucci
The flavor profile here is just perfect. I personally think lemon makes everything better and then you have spices like paprika, garlic powder and pepper, along with more surprising ingredients like cola, ketchup and apple cider vinegar (so good for you!).
The best part is that you can set it and forget it because it's a slow-cooker recipe. Just don’t forget to save the pan juices!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours and 20 minutes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole chicken, cut up (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup carbonated soda
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 lemon, sliced
Here's how to make it:
- Stir together salt, paprika, garlic powder and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle over chicken. Place chicken in a single layer in a lightly greased 6-quart slow cooker.
- Whisk together cola, ketchup, light brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and bourbon in a small bowl. Slowly pour mixture between chicken pieces (to avoid removing spices from chicken). Place lemon slices in a single layer on top of chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or on low 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours, or until done. Transfer chicken pieces to a serving platter. Discard lemon slices. Skim fat from pan juices in slow cooker. Pour pan juices over chicken and serve immediately with rice and vegetables.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.