Sweet Ukrainian Babka Buns Recipe: Chocolate Hazelnut Babka Buns Are a Twist on Tradition by 30Seconds Food
Babka is a sweet bread that's braided and usually baked as a loaf. The sweet bread is popular in Ukraine, Poland and other European countries. This chocolate hazelnut babka bun recipe is a twist (literally!) on the traditional bread recipe. They are delish and perfect as a snack or for brunch, breakfast or dessert.
As we enjoy these sweet babka buns, let's send positive energy and thoughts to the strong and brave people of Ukraine. If you want to help, here are some ways to support Ukraine.
Cuisine: Ukraine / Polish
Prep Time: 1 1/2 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours (approximately)
Servings: Makes 8
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup hazelnut spread, or more as needed
- grated chocolate
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the water, honey and yeast in a bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes to activate the yeast.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the bread flour, salt, egg, powdered milk, egg yolk and zests. Pour in the yeast mixture. Using the dough hook, mix on low for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, start adding the pieces of butter until incorporated. Knead the dough about 10 more minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball and put it into an oiled bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow it to rise until doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl onto a floured work surface. Form the dough into a log shape and cut into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Roll each ball into a 5x8-inch rectangle (approximately).
- Spread the rectangle with some hazelnut spread, leaving a border around the edges.
- Watch this video to see how to roll the babka buns.
- Place the buns on a baking sheet and let them rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with grated chocolate while still warm.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.