Oatmeal Banana Bread Recipe: This Heart-Healthier Banana Bread Is Loaded With Oats & Dark Chocolate by Elisa A. Schmitz 30Seconds
Banana bread is one of my favorite things to bake (and eat). As you can tell from all the banana bread recipes on 30Seconds, we are big fans of it and enjoy trying different recipes. I guess it's our quest to find the ultimate banana bread recipe for breakfast, snacks or dessert!
As you know by now, I like to try and find ways to boost nutrition wherever I can. And lately, because I'm watching my cholesterol (thanks to my family history), that means incorporating a lot of oats. (Oatmeal is packed with soluble fiber, landing it at the top of Mayo Clinic's list of cholesterol-reducing foods.)
I wanted to see if I could make a more nutritious banana bread by adding oats, and I think I succeeded. The texture is different than the typical banana bread (more substantive and chewy), but it's equally delicious. My husband, who's my official taste tester, gave this chocolate chip bread recipe two enthusiastic thumbs up (especially because it's also loaded with dark chocolate, which has its own heart-health benefits)!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes, depending on your oven
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Servings: Makes 2 loaves
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used gluten-free flour)
- 1 1/2 cups oats (I used gluten-free quick-cooking oats)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 - 5 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup milk or nut milk (I used almond milk; you may need to add more or less milk to achieve the right consistency)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Coat two 9x5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, blend bananas, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- In a third bowl, combine butter and brown sugar, stirring until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, to butter and sugar mixture. Combine banana mixture and sugar mixture, and stir until blended. Combine dry mixture and moist mixture, and stir until blended. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts, if using.
- Pour batter, evenly divided, into the loaf pans. Bake at 325 degrees F for about 30 to 35 minutes, depending on your oven. You can use a toothpick to see if it comes out clean. Allow to cool in the loaf pans for about 10 minutes before removing and slicing.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Loaf Pans $8 & Up
All Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Gluten-free Flour $3 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $3 & Up
Light Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Dark Chocolate Chips $3 & Up
Walnuts $3 & Up
Quick Oats $2 & Up
Gluten-free Quick Oats $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.