Nanaimo Bars Recipe: This Easy No-Bake Layered Dessert Recipe Is a Sweet Gift From Canada by 30Seconds Food
A Nanaimo bar is a layered dessert recipe named after the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia. The Canadian no-bake recipe has three delicious layers: a chocolate crust, creamy filling and chocolate glaze. Surprise your family by making this easy Nanaimo bar recipe. (They would also make great gifts!)
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus time to chill
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes plus time to chill
Servings: 12 to 15 bars
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 12 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
Here's how to make it:
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. The parchment should extend at least 1 inch over the sides.
- In a saucepot, add the sugar, cocoa powder and butter. Cook over low heat until butter melts.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Take about 1/4 cup of the butter mixture and stir it into the eggs to temper them. Whisk the mixture into the saucepot and cook until it reaches 160 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, coconut and almonds, if using. Press the mixture into the baking pan. Refrigerate while you make the filling and glaze.
- To make the filling, beat the powdered sugar, pudding mix, butter and milk together until smooth.
- To make the glaze, put the chocolate and butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Spread the filling over the cold crust, then top with the glaze. Refrigerate until set, at least 1 hour, then cut into bars.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
8x8-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Cocoa Powder $2 & Up
Sweetened Coconut $2 & Up
Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix $2 & Up
Almonds $4 & Up
Semisweet Chocolate $3 & Up
Graham Cracker Crumbs $3 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Powdered Sugar $2 & Up
Candy Thermometers $7 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.