Cock-a-Leekie Soup Recipe: Easy 4-Ingredient Scottish Leek & Chicken Soup Recipe Is Simple Done Right by 30Seconds Food
Cock-a-leekie soup is a Scottish chicken soup recipe made with chicken, leeks and rice or barley. The original soup also had prunes, but over time many recipes have omitted this ingredient. This easy, four-ingredient cock-a-leekie soup recipe has carrots infused into the broth to add even more flavor. You will probably have some leftover chicken to make chicken salad, Greek lemon chicken soup or chicken tetrazzini with. A win-win.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- 1 whole chicken
- 12 medium leeks, washed and cut to 1-inch pieces (divided)
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice, rinsed, or barley
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken, half the leeks and carrots into a large soup pot. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Cover the pot and simmer gently about 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through and tender. Remove the chicken to a plate to cool.
- Strain the broth through a mesh strainer into another pot.
- Add the rice or barley, bring to a simmer, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining leeks. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook about 20 more minutes without a lid.
- Remove the meat from the chicken.
- To serve, put desired amount of chicken into individual soup bowls. Top with the broth. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Note: You can put the leeks and carrots back into the soup, if desired, instead of discarding them.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.