Welsh Leek & Potato Soup Recipe: This Vegan Soup Recipe Can Be Adapted for Meat Eaters by Keri De Deo
People tend to think of Arizona as a warm climate, and for most of it, that's true. But I live in Northern Arizona, where we can get some chilly weather, even snow! When that happens, a good soup recipe is a must. If you're looking for a light, vegan soup recipe, this is it!
Adapted from a Welsh recipe my dad uses, this vegan potato soup recipe can easily be adapted to include cream, butter or chicken broth for meat eaters. (I'm a throw-it-in kind of cook, so the measurements are approximate.)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 - 3 leeks, chopped (keep the green tops for garnish)
- 2 - 3 potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes (Any kind works, but I prefer large red potatoes because they have a slight sweet flavor.)
- 4 - 6 cups vegetable broth (Depends on how thick you want it. I used two containers of organic, low-sodium vegetable broth.)
- parsley sprigs, optional (You could also add other herbs and spices as you'd like. My husband likes red pepper flakes in it, but I don’t.)
Here's how to make it:
- In a soup pot, sauté the leeks in olive oil until translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and broth. Bring to a hard boil, then reduce heat to low. Let simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Smash some of the potatoes to make a thicker broth. Serve warm topped with parsley and/or leek greens.
Note: My dad adds butter and cream to his individual serving. He also uses chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, and has also made it with bacon.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Vegetable Broth $2 & Up
Vegan Cookbooks $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.