Best Texas Queso Recipe: A Cheese Dip Recipe With Roots in Two States by Katie Smith
Born and raised in Texas, California became my home last year. Queso is a staple in Texas homes and restaurants, but it's hard to find here.
When I get homesick and need some cheese dip in my life, this is my go-to queso recipe. With ground meat, three cheeses and cream, it's a Texas two-step above most Mexican cheese dip recipes. Buy plenty of tortilla chips because you won't be able to stop eating it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey (I used ground turkey)
- 1 packet (1 ounce) taco seasoning
- 1/2 diced red onion
- 16 ounces processed cheese (I used Velveeta)
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chiles, undrained (I used Rotel)
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- pico de gallo, for serving
- fresh chopped cilantro, for serving
- tortilla chips, for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Brown the meat in a skillet. Add the taco seasoning packet and following package directions. Set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the red onion until soft.
- Add the processed cheese and tomatoes with green chiles. Stir until melted.
- Add the pepper jack and white cheddar. Stir until melted.
- Add the meat back into the pot.
- Pour in the heavy cream. Cook until heated through. If too thick, add more heavy cream until desired consistency.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with pico de gallo and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Tomatoes With Green Chiles $2 & Up
Velveeta $7 & Up
Taco Seasoning Packets $1 & Up
Tortilla Chips $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.