Best Texas Queso Recipe: A Cheese Dip Recipe With Roots in Two States by Katie Smith
When I get homesick and need some cheese dip in my life, this is my go-to queso recipe. With ground meat, three cheeses and cream, it's a Texas two-step above most Mexican cheese dip recipes. Buy plenty of tortilla chips because you won't be able to stop eating it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey (I used ground turkey)
- 1 packet (1 ounce) taco seasoning
- 1/2 diced red onion
- 16 ounces processed cheese (I used Velveeta)
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chiles, undrained (I used Rotel)
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- pico de gallo, for serving
- fresh chopped cilantro, for serving
- tortilla chips, for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Brown the meat in a skillet. Add the taco seasoning packet and following package directions. Set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the red onion until soft.
- Add the processed cheese and tomatoes with green chiles. Stir until melted.
- Add the pepper jack and white cheddar. Stir until melted.
- Add the meat back into the pot.
- Pour in the heavy cream. Cook until heated through. If too thick, add more heavy cream until desired consistency.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with pico de gallo and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.